Sunday, November 4, 2012

"I know I might look like a rhinoceros, but I've got quite a thin skin, really"

As this is my first post of November, and many of you men out there are beginning to sprout some upper lip facial hair in support of "Movember" to raise money for prostate cancer, I felt it only fitting to choose "Circle of Friends" for tonight's viewing pleasure (of Colin!!).  Yes, in this film Colin, or Simon Westward if you will, sports a 'stache' making him appear sophisticated and debonair for his otherwise unlikeable character (still nice on the eyes, of course!)

This week was met with ups & downs, largely due in part to the evils (candy, chips, etc.) of Halloween lurking throughout the house!  On Monday for dinner, I made Kristen's favourite meal - Blarney Stone Cottage Pie (an Irish Shepherd's Pie).  The next day I went to Curves and for the first time since I signed up I actually had 12 visits this month!!  Tuesday night we had tacos for dinner and then John helped the kids carve out our Jack O'Lanterns to display on the porch for Halloween.  While they were carving and retrieving the slimy innards from the pumpkins, I was busily chopping up pumpkin, butternut squash, apples and onions in preparation for the Cinderella soup we would feast on the following evening.

On Wednesday, Halloween, my cleaning lady came to do her thing and in her wake she left 3 double sized Kit Kat's on the counter, one for each of my kids.  Later, my neighbour and friend Carla across the street called and I happened to look over and saw them on the counter.  I told her I was tempted to tear into one of them.  You know you've a true friend when they offer to come over and take them away out of the house for you to resist temptation when willpower isn't so willing after all!  The mere suggestion of an 'intervention' helped me remove the chocolate from my sight and hide them in the cupboards for when the kids came home from school.  I spent the afternoon making Cinderella soup.  Jackie's version was much better than mine - I really don't know what happened!  It still tasted good to me, but John and kids hated it!  I bribed the kids by telling them that only those who ate every last spoonful of soup would be allowed to enjoy trick-or-treating!  Things got rather comical after the kids had managed to finish their soup and turned the tables on their father urging "Just one more bite Daddy!  You can do it!!" he he he!  So, they downed the soup and earned their quest for candy overload!  Oh well, one dud amongst the successes ain't bad right?  My Scottish Bagpiper, Banana and Cowgirl!  Trick-or-Treat!!


Needless to say, I fell off the 'hay'wagon a little bit and gorged on some Halloween treats later on that evening.  Nadine, next door brought over some caramel apples which were divine!!!  I take pride in the fact that I didn't eat as much as I normally do though!!

On Thursday I went to Curves fully expecting the scales to tip the other way and surprised myself that my weight had gone down 1/4 of a lb to 148.75.  I guess that gave me some false hope, believing that I could eat more candy and not suffer - this came back to haunt me on Friday when I weighed myself again and was back up to 149 (....and a smidgen).  However, there is still good news to report.  I was due for my monthly measurements and since the last set, I have lost 3 lbs, 1 1/2 inches (3/4" off the hips, 1/2" off the waist and 1/4" off the bust - the back part I presume, what I call "bra fat"), and 1.8% body fat.  I was rewarded when Abba came on the system (remember it reminds me of Mama Mia - starring Colin of course) propelling my motivation skyward!  Admittedly needed, as Minnie Driver (Benny) in "Circle of Friends" says to Jack Foley, " I know I might look like a rhinoceros, but I've got quite a thin skin, really", my disappointment in my lack of willpower and subsequent weight gain was making me feel rather large and rhino-like.  But - better days lay ahead - I will do this, I will meet my next goal, my next Colin flick!!!!  The Importance of Being Ernest is up next and I am hoping to accomplish losing the next 5 lbs by the end of the month - so guys, while your mustache is reaching it's prime at the end of the month, my belly will be deflating by comparison!  There, now I've said it, typed it - so I have to make it happen!

Friday and Saturday I spent fulfilling cake orders - I had a 3-tier cake for a 1st birthday, a drum for an 8th birthday, pumpkin spice cupcakes for a baby shower and a surprise beer can cake for my friend Glen as a birthday surprise from me!  I was up until 4 am on Friday night working on them all.  Saturday morning my baby niece came to visit!!!!  She's so adorable!!! Then I went to Laurie's baby shower, dinner at the Quarrington's and back across the street to Carla & Steve's to surprise Glen with his edible Coors light and play some Five Crowns!

I was planning to forego church this morning since I was so tired from being up till the wee hours the previous night but Kristen got all upset that she was late for choir practice so I dragged myself down for a quick breakfast and took a coffee to go with me!  I'm glad that we did end up going after all.  Kristen sang beautifully in front of the congregation and for the first time I can remember, after hearing the reading from the Old Testament (book of Ruth) I found myself wanting to come home and read more to find out the rest of her story - weird eh?  Then just before I was ready to leave to come home, Pat came up to me while I was talking to Donna and gave me a hug, saying that she thought I looked tired and wanted to give me a hug.  This may sound crazy, but I seriously felt much better afterwards - and much more alert!!  I'll have to play this one forward for sure!  I am truly blessed to have such wonderful people surrounding me!

I was going to chat about my views on "Wheat Belly" thus far - but as it's getting late I'll leave that for next time.

Colin, I leave you tonight dreaming of Simon "riding his horse and looking grand as usual"!  Bon nuit!

1 comment:

  1. The Coors Light Can Cake was amazing! Looking forward to reading more blog entries as you continue your Firth Diet Journey! Glen

    ReplyDelete

Comments and encouragment most welcome!!