Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Edge of Reason

Let me start by wishing you all a belated Valentine's Day!  Here's a little treat for my fellow Firth fans!  Enjoy!

There are several videos available on YouTube but I was partial to this one.  I'm not sure which language the music is, but I do know it's romantic and very befitting for Valentine's worldwide!

After publishing my last entry I went to test my blood pressure.  Maybe I've been drooling too much over Colin....I don't know.  Remember the 103 year old lady I read about in the Biography, the one whose doctor suggested she discontinue watching Pride & Prejudice because her blood pressure was too high?  Perhaps I'm suffering the same fate - gosh, I hope it's not that serious!  I just can't seem to get a break lately.  My euphoric high of just weeks ago was shattered as my blood pressure charted at 152/79.  The diastolic was good - but the systolic leaves much to be desired.  I tested again, and again and again but things didn't improve much.  In fact, my left arm felt like it was going to explode inside the cuff which I'm sure raised my BP even further.  I guess I've been dealing with more stress than usual with the renovation happening and thinking of all the cleaning that has to be done in it's aftermath.  But I was doing so well!!  I'm really trying not to let these results defeat me.  All I can do is keep plodding along and not give up!!  I am no quitter!

It must really be true that muscle weighs more than fat - or at least that's the stand I'm taking as I'm having great difficulty working my way to a new St. Trinian's DVD as the next incentive!  The scales would suggest I've reached a stalemate which I don't think is all that unusual.  I just have to strategize and take my 'wobbly bits' by surprise when they least expect it!  Any suggestions out there troops?

I'm also wondering if my sleeping habits are partly to blame.  Since I've slept on the couch for 2 weeks while the floors were being ripped up and new ones laid, I've fallen back into bad habits of staying up late watching too much television.  Which would explain both my blood pressure results and lack of energy.  So, no more late nights for me!  I had 3 glorious nights in our newly decorated bedroom and king sized bed!  Now the stairs are being sanded and stained so we've had to relocate downstairs for a couple more days!

Onto better things...last Wednesday I had hoped to cook salmon for dinner but the lady ahead of me at the grocery store bought up all the fillets before I had a chance so I purchased tilapia instead.  I made the honey lime tilapia recipe and coupled it with a new recipe for a Radicchio and Endive Salad along with a homemade Maple Peach dressing.
This salad was delicious!  I have never bought or eaten Belgian endives, radicchio or jalapeno pepper before!  In addition to the endives and radicchio, there were pears, blueberries, walnuts, and mint.  The jalapeno pepper flourished within the dressing of apple juice, white wine vinegar, orange juice, maple syrup, olive oil, parsley, lime juice, and of course peaches!    This recipe came from the "Low Salt DASH Dinners" book.  I don't think I'd eat the radicchio on its own, but whomever came up with this recipe was genius!  And you know by now how much I love colour on my plate!
Another new thing I made last week was Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites from a recipe I found on Pinterest.  Another great flourless treat made with chickpeas.  Who would have thought chickpeas could be so wonderful!  John and Matthew both loved them!!!  Let's face it, chocolate makes the heart grow fonder!

Valentine's Day started off on the right foot when John called to inform me that he booked flights and accommodation for Kristen and I to go to Dublin for my 40th!!!  Yes, I will grace the Emerald Isle with my presence after all!  John also far outdid himself with the gorgeous Desigual spring coat he gave me!!  I am one very lucky girl!!!  I know who my Mr. Darcy is!!!  Thank you John!  After dinner I ventured out to Booty Barre all by myself as Carla was visiting her parents in Florida.  I was actually singing, "Went to Booty Barre...all by ...myself", much like Bridget Jones singing the same tune!  I had hoped to come home and watch the first episode of Pride & Prejudice with John but he was too tired after his evening volleyball game.

On Friday night, Steve was in desperate need of some adult company so he invited Glen, Melissa, John and I to go over for a glass of wine and a round of Five Crowns.  I made the mistake of commenting on the amount of take out entering the house in his wife's absence.  Guilt took over and the next day I offered to make dinner for everyone.  I made Coconut Chicken with the Honey Dijon Dressing and we brought a salad and some whole wheat French bread.  Steve picked up some dessert from the Pie Place in Niagara-on-the-Lake and we enjoyed the feast!  I am trying to talk John into a trip to the Pie Place this weekend.  They have the best banana cream pie I have ever tasted!!   And Carla finally arrived home safe and sound around 4:30 am after several flight delays so all is well and good on Oakwood Dr. once again!

During the weekend, John and I were in a mad dash to get our house back together as we had invited Amanda, Julian, Gordana, Steve and their kids over for a spaghetti dinner on Sunday night.  We worked right down to the wire and felt much deserving of a glass or two of Malbec!  Amanda had brought some appetizers, one of which was a combination of meat, cheese, olives, sun dried tomatoes and grapes.  I really enjoyed it!  I tried an olive for the first time at Melissa's house under duress and it wasn't a very pleasant experience - but the combination of flavours here actually made the olive work for me!  Marry the right flavours together and you may find the results surprising!  I'd just like to thank all my friends for opening my mind and palate and encouraging me to try new things these past few months!

Monday was Family Day and we split the family up into girls and boys.  The boys all went to the Auto Show in Toronto, and my girl and I stayed home to watch Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason!  I can't begin to tell you how exhilarating it is to be able to share my love of movies  (and Colin Firth!) with my daughter!  I mean can you blame Bridget for staring at such a fine specimen as Mark Darcy as he sleeps?  And the parallels inherent between Bridget Jones, Love Actually and what I've seen so far of the Pride & Prejudice series are numerous!  The way Daniel Cleaver eyes up a fellow female employee was very similar to the look Billy Bob Thornton as the US President eyes Natalie as he passes her on the stairs in Love Actually.  The scene where Bridget arrives at Heathrow after being released from the Thai prison certainly reminds one that "Love actually...is all around us" as she is greeted by her parents.  And any scene with Colin in a wet shirt...is well...just...right!  Admittedly, I have been thinking about investing in one of those girdles that "aim to reduce body size by 15%" like the one Bridget was trying on in an effort to fit into her gold gown for the Law Society Dinner.  When she blurts out "I think I made a mistake inviting you and your folded underpants into my life", I wanted to shout, "No Bridget, No!  You should accept him and his folded underpants and like him just as he is - if not iron them for him as well!"

Yes, Kristen and I enjoyed the movie very much!  In fact, we are both giddy with anticipation waiting for the next sequel!!  Afterwards we took the quiz in one of the Special Features of the film that decides which man you are most suited towards...and our results were...
...seriously - did you think it could have been anyone else?  Coincidentally, the traits I love in Mark Darcy bear a striking resemblance to those found in my husband John!

But wait, the day got even better!  I found a package sitting on the bench by the front door that afternoon.  A package of books written by Ali McNamara which I ordered directly from her.

I love the way she signed them for me too!  "To Rebecca, With Love...Actually!".  Thank you Ali!  I have read "To Nottinghill With Love...Actually" before and if you share my love of romantic comedy and chick lit you will indeed love this book!  Unfortunately I had lent my copy to a friend and it's gone missing.  My favourite movies are mentioned in this book!   It is a very fun read, and one I will read again and again!

Glad to end on a positive note - I went to Curves again this morning and was back down to 142.5 lbs!  Thankfully, John loves me just as I am, wobbly bits and all, not to mention my infatuation with Colin Firth!  "You see, the problematic things is...I love you."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and encouragment most welcome!!