Friday, March 8, 2013

St. Trinian's and Vitamins

At long last I have prevailed in my quest to attain the elusive St. Trinian's!!!!  Upon finishing my shift in the school library on Wednesday, I headed to Curves.  During the drive I was contemplating my upcoming appointment with the Diabetic Nurse, conjuring up an arsenal of information to throw at her to prove what I've accomplished thus far.  Anyways, I arrived at my destination, changed into my gym clothes and proceeded to the scale as per my usual routine.  At first I thought there must be some mistake, so I checked again and again and again.  I was utterly gobsmacked with the results!  My weight is down to 138 lbs!!!  I did it! I did it!  I did it!  Proof positive right here folks that you should never give up on your goals but continue to persevere to attain your desired results!  I was so excited and giddy with the results that I texted John and Carla right away with the news and offered to take Carla out to Serendipity to celebrate my success!



And why did these results occur?  I have a sneaky suspicion that I owe some credit, yet again to the highly esteemed avocado!  For dinner the night previous I made "normal" chicken (as requested by Jacob) along with a new recipe (taken from Pinterest) for Brussel Sprout Pomegranate Citrus Salad.  This salad had brussel sprouts, avocado, oranges and pomegranate drizzled with a lovely citrus honey dressing.  It was delicious!  Matthew loved it and even Jakey liked this one!  They didn't even realize they ate raw, thinly sliced brussel sprouts and avocado until I told them after they finished eating it!  Another new thing for them was the pomegranate.  I've had them before but this was the first time I have ever bought a pomegranate - and again I had to consult Google to figure out what to do with the thing!  I was shocked at how many of those little suckers can fit inside one piece of fruit!  It kind of reminded me of corn kernels as they are about the same size - only red and they are on the inside throughout the fruits' membrane. 

While we sat around the kitchen table waiting for Kristen and Jacob to finish eating dinner, I poked through my Looneyspoons cookbook.  After reading a blurb about the quality of vitamins and the suggested experiment to test whether or not your vitamin of choice is really worth taking - I decided to perform the said experiment.  I took one of my Centrum Forte daily vitamins and submerged it in a 1/2 cup of vinegar.  According to the book, if your vitamin is any good for you, it should dissolve within the vinegar in less than one hour.  Luckily for me, my vitamin passed the test and was completely dissolved after an elapsed 22 minutes.



 Taking things one step further, I decided to perform the same experiment on the kids' Flintstones Sour Gummy vitamins.  One sour gummy vitamin was plopped into it's own glass of vinegar - and no surprise here, it was still there an hour later, 4 hours later, and a large blob persisted at the bottom of the glass another 12 hours later when inspected over breakfast this morning!  Sadly kids, Mommy will no longer be purchasing these for you!


John had his annual physical yesterday and I'm trying hard to keep my green-eyed monster at bay over his stellar results.  His blood pressure was very good, his cardio above average, cholesterol levels were awesome and his body fat dropped from 22% down to 17% since last year.  At least he thanked me for the diet!  The only thing wrong with him was a vitamin D deficiency!  Man, that green-eyed monster is fighting to come out!  I had my monthly measurements taken at Curves on Monday and my body fat decreased as well -  so now I've only got 32% body fat which is almost twice as much as Johns' and when you look at it that way, it's rather depressing!  But hey, I've lost 17 lbs!!!  And about 1.5% body fat since last month ...now if I can do that every month for a year, will I get the same result?  I'm too tired to do the math right now but the mere act of looking at that pic of a glass 1/2 full instead of 1/2 empty (even thought it's holding vinegar) provides me with some optimism and hope!

Moving along - let's talk St. Trinian's!
Reading Colin's biography I discovered the rift between him and Rupert Everett - a public feud lasting about 20 years beginning in their debut feature film "Another Country".  Since then, they have worked together on "The Importance of Being Earnest" and the two St. Trinian's films.  After putting the kids to bed Wednesday night I watched my newest prize!  St. Trinian's is wrought with remarkable references to Colin's career, and Rupert's portrayal of Camilla Fritton, Headmistress is a pure doppelganger of Camilla Parker Bowles!  His/Her dog in the film is named Mr. Darcy of all things.  And you have to admire the many films where Colin emerges from pond or water fountain in a wet white shirt showcasing those 'chiseled contours' we know so well!  There was also a reference to "Girl With a Pearl Earring" starring Scarlett Johansson and Colin Firth.  On a field trip to scope out the National Art Gallery in preparing for the heist of Vermeer's famous painting, one of the girls comments, "Wow, you can so see why Colin Firth wanted to shag her!".  I think we can say the same of Colin in one of the final scenes where he is nicely unclad by the window!  If you have not watched this film yet, and intend to do so, I urge you to hang on till the bitter end and listen as the credits roll to Colin and Rupert's rendition of "Love Is In The Air"!  We just finished watching this again as a family movie night pick!  Perhaps the kids and I will watch St. Trinian's 2 tomorrow night when John is out!

Till then Colin - "Another Time, Another Country"!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and encouragment most welcome!!