Tuesday, October 23, 2012

I d-d-did it!!

Well, it's been over a week, and I have so much to share with you!  My solace from a weekend at the ranch came to an end and things got pretty busy and stressful with preparations for Scrap Cancer which took place on Sunday.

Last Monday I made a delicious dish for dinner - Coconut Chicken on a bed of baby greens with grated carrot, cucumber and a honey mustard vinaigrette!  Yumm-my!!  I've always loved coconut shrimp and when I came across this recipe for Coconut Chicken - I just had to try it!!  It's wonderful when you try a new recipe and it works for you!!!  (And it took my mind temporarily off the fact that I had gained a couple pounds back from my weekend away!)

Here's the link to the recipe http://skinnytaste.ziplist.com/recipes/264890-Coconut_Chicken_Salad_with_Warm_Honey_Mustard_Vinaigrette.  I know you are going to want to try this yourselves!!!  This will certainly be a main feature on the McKenzie Menu from here on in!

The first time I went to Curves last week I was back up to almost 152 lbs, the second time I was almost down to 151 lbs.  I was just getting my yoga pants on on Thursday afternoon to go back to Curves again when I got a call from the school to pick Jake up as he appeared to have pink eye! Ughhh!  So I had to get him to the doctor for an assessment, then pick up the eye drops (which were on backorder so I ended up having to use my husband's eye drops from the summer), then pick up the other two kids from school.  A kid suffering from pink eye is not allowed back to school until they have been on medication for a full 24 hrs - so...long weekend for Jakey, and again, no Curves for me on Friday!  I also didn't have enough time to prepare my homemade pizza dough for dinner, and with Scrap Cancer just days away and a Committee Meeting looming in my living/dining rooms with no time to spare, John brought home Pizza Hut for dinner.  I know, it's bad, but...fast food is quickly becoming a 'treat' in our house and not something that is to be expected on a weekly or twice weekly basis - and that is a good thing, right!  When I was young, a trip to MacDonald's was rare, and a real treat!  We maybe went a couple of times per year.  Kids, and parents alike, seem to take these fast food options for granted nowadays.  It's really rather sad.  I mean, since when did society as a whole become so busy, that we throw caution to the wind and ignore our health and the beauty that surrounds us???  For far too long, I fell privy to just that, making excuses for why I couldn't go to the gym today, why I didn't have time to cook a healthy meal for my family, etc, etc, etc.  I am going to reiterate that I know that after this journey of mine, I may indeed need to take medication for the high blood pressure and cholesterol, but I also realize that even when I have completed the whole Colin Firth Diet Club program, the journey will not end there.  I am making lifestyle changes now that I hope to stick to and relay onto my children.  Henceforth, I have stopped making excuses!  Since the CFDC started, I have been to Curves 3 times every week, something I was never consistent with before since joining in February.

On Saturday morning I took Jake to his indoor soccer game and then I dropped both my boys off at the library while I went into Curves for my 3rd workout of the week.  Tra-la-la.......

I d-d-did it!!!!  Yup! That scale with me on it reads 149 lbs!!  (Joy who works at Curves took some photos for me!)  I have successfully completed my first CFDC mission!  I called John from my cell phone right away and told him.  I urged him to come in and see for himself, but he decided to wait in the library for me instead.  Wow, did I feel liberated from those 5 lbs!!!  My pants were starting to fit a little better!  Last winter I remembered putting on a pair of my 'fat' pants - you know, that pair you keep when you want to be comfortable and not have to suck in your gut all day in order to keep the button from snapping off?  Well, nothing sucks more than when you are too fat for your 'fat' pants!  Fat Pants - Be Gone!!!!!  Furthermore, I thought I'd take my chances and test my blood pressure again at the drugstore.  The first reading was 149/101, the second was 150/96 and the last one I took was 131/96 - so I am pleased that those numbers are improving as well!!!!!

Later on that day....
I got my new movie!!!!  Unfortunately I've been too busy to watch it as of yet - but at long last it is here!!!
My friends arrived after dinner to help load up all the donations for Scrap Cancer to take over to the hotel.  Luckily we were able to have access to the room the night before this year so we were able to have almost everything done around 11pm.  Michelle and I always stay overnight at the hotel and enjoy a quick swim before going to bed, but the pool closed right at 11 and I couldn't convince the hotel staff to open it back up specially for us!  So, I asked for a 6:30 am wake-up call and headed down for a swim.  I had the whole pool all to myself!!!!  It was so relaxing - swimming laps in total quiet!  As I was swimming back to the shallow end, I was sure I saw my the back of my dad walking through the game room - turns out it was him, he had stayed overnight as well but kept it a secret!  My dad has helped out with the event since the beginning, 6 years ago!  At 7 am I got out and headed upstairs to shower and get ready. 

We had fewer people attending this year but we still did extremely well.  The final numbers are still coming in but John figures we likely raised $15,000 for Breast Cancer Support Services.  Special thanks to my crew for yet another successful year!!!!  And a big thank you to my friends and family for supporting me through Scrap Cancer AND my first goal of the Colin Firth Diet Club!

I pretty much slept through all of Monday, and today feel like I'm still recovering.  Tonight, I met my soccer team at Chaps for dinner.  I ordered a Coke with lime but they only had Pepsi so I had a water with lemon instead.  For dinner I had a burger, and as much as I craved some onion rings, I did the right thing and ordered a salad!!!...And I'm all the better for it!!

Goodnight King George for I must bid you adieu before "I bloody well stammer!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and encouragment most welcome!!