Thursday, October 4, 2012

"The Kings Speech" Coming Soon on DVD!!!

Well, folks, it's the end of my first week of the Colin Firth Diet Club!  I'm still giggling about how I got John and the kids to eat Brussel Sprouts the other night!  Ah ha ha!!

Yesterday I went to watch Jake at his cross country race and he did pretty good for his first time!  Very proud of the little guy!!  Afterwards I went to my favourite store in Burlington - Joelle's (www.joelles.com) to pick up a donation for Scrap Cancer (www.breastcancersupport.org/scrapcancer.html), a fundraiser I run for Breast Cancer Support Services every October.  (Did a little shopping too, of course!!!!)  Then I came home for a quick lunch and headed off to a much needed massage with Val!  Val had been reading my blog and knew about my headaches, so she was well prepared to deal with me when I arrived!  I felt so good afterwards that I thought it would be a good time to go to the drug store and have my blood pressure checked - gulp!!!  While stopped at an intersection waiting for the lights to change, I sat marvelling at a squirrel running along a telephone wire and imagined it walking on it's hind legs with horizontal pole in hand tight-roping!  It was a gorgeous day outside, leaves were changing colour and falling - I was calm and at peace.  Surely my BP would reflect my thoughts!

Nope!  In fact, the numbers were higher than they were when taken at the Dr.'s office.  So much for my White Coat Syndrome I professed to the nurse last week (a term my friend Lisa who is a dietitian told me about)!  I took the test 3 times to make sure and the numbers were as follows -  167/97, 150/101, and 152/98.  Perplexing, and I have to say, discouraging.  I was hoping for improvement and I didn't even get status quo!  I decided to try again after dropping my daughter off at her Irish dance class.  I needed to buy some orange juice so I went to the machine in the grocery store and took the test another 3 times and the numbers were as follows  - 151/100, 142/87, 144/93.  At least these ones were better than the first set!  John tried to give me some perspective, it's only been a week and maybe after a month I'll see changes.

Last night for dinner I decided to make a stir-fry.  Last week I was so distraught with all the changes I had to make that I would stare in my freezer, knowing I had food to cook with, but at a total loss as to what to do with it.  I cooked the chicken in a bit of sesame oil  and then added a bit of teriyaki sauce, snow peas, carrots, bean sprouts and water chestnuts.  I never thought about how beautiful fresh vegetables are before.  It made for a very colourful meal.  The kids didn't care for the bean sprouts but they ate everything else along with rice.  It didn't even take that long to make!


This morning I volunteered in Kristen's class and then headed off to Curves for my workout.  I'm committed to going the three times a week that I am supposed to now, and not allowing myself to come up with lame excuses for not going!  I was excited to weigh myself, hoping even a little decrease would cheer me up.  It worked!!!  Current weight - 151 lbs!  (that just sounded like an entry in Bridget Jones' diary - didn't it??)  One more pound to go and my first Colin perk is mine, all mine!!!!  "The Kings Speech" will be arriving to my house on DVD, very, very soon!!! Mark (Darcy) my words, it will!!!

This is my favourite time of year - the fall.  I love the changing colours of the leaves and the still warm air like we've been experiencing this week.  I find I'm taking the time to enjoy, savour and ponder the small things in my surroundings.  My wake up call has allowed me to see the light so to speak and become more appreciative of things in general.

This afternoon, I made a recipe I found on Pinterest for raspberry dark chocolate banana bread - super yummy!!  I cut down on the salt and next time I'll add applesauce in place of the butter.  Also, I can't believe I'm about to say this, but - I think it had too many chocolate chips in it??  Matthew loved it!  Here's a pic..

Thursday night is traditionally "pizza night" in our house, so tonight, in lieu of a fatty, greasy pizza - I made homemade pizzas.  I made pizza dough in my bread maker for the first time ever!  The kids got involved too, Matthew shredded the mozzarella and cut up the pepperoni.  Kristen spread some of the sauce, and they all took part in putting the ingredients on their own pizza.  The aroma of fresh dough baking was divine!!  Finally, a healthier version of a staple meal that everyone liked!!  Yeah!!!  I didn't realize it would take 2 hours in the bread machine and after the kids got home from school I tried to rest since my headache came back - so unfortunately we didn't end up having dinner until about 8:30.  Next week, I'll make the dough in advance while they are still at school.


So...this weekend is Thanksgiving, and it will be with trials and tribulations as I need to watch what I eat and watch the portions.  I'm warning you now that I will NOT give up my pumpkin pie - nope, that is out of the question!  However, I'll try to limit myself to one or two pieces per sitting!!!  Immediately after Thanksgiving, I'll be put to the test again while celebrating my birthday, then I'll have a short reprieve until the bigger test - Hallowe'en!!!  Think the neighbourhood kids would like bananas or carrots so I don't have lots of extra chocolate bars left over?  I think not!

But, I wouldn't be opposed to Mr. Darcy (Colin) telling me "Well now that's a bit pointless, isn't it? As I happen to have a very high regard for your wobbly bits. In all circumstances"




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and encouragment most welcome!!