Friday, December 21, 2012

"Love Actually"

Love Actually is without a doubt one of my favourite movies.  I can't tell you how many times I have viewed this film, but I can tell you it will never be enough!!  The plethora of A-list actors in this film (Colin Firth, Hugh Grant, Liam Neeson, Emma Thompson, Keira Knightley etc.) ensures some eye candy for just about anyone, both female and male.  My husband for one will watch amorously while Keira Knightley is on screen, whilst ,I of course, swoon "ever so coolly" over Colin Firth.

For the past 5 or so years, I have hosted a "Love Actually" event at my house.  I invite my closest friends for what started out as movie & wine, and has progressed to include dinner and laughs.  The group changes from year to year with some regulars, some newbies and every year there always seems to be a Love Actually Virgin - someone who has never seen the movie before.  I take great pride in my quest to make sure all my friends have witnessed the wonder of Love Actually.  Each year, this event just seems to get better and better!  I can only hope that my friends have come to treasure and anticipate this annual event as much as I do!

Last year we added a couple of new traditions to the mix - ordering in Chinese food for dinner was one, the other was to arrive wearing PJ's!  Linda even broke out her new jammie bottoms that were being saved for Christmas Eve this year!  John, bless his heart, always makes sure our wine glasses are full and even offers to drive those home afterwards who have imbibed in too much vino!  This year we all sat around the dining room table (I even used the good china dishes!) enjoying good food and superb conversation while the Love Actually soundtrack played in the background.  Ahhh, I was in a happy place - and the movie hadn't even started yet!

After we finished dinner, we proceeded to the TV room.  I was worried earlier that as the group gets larger from year to year, that we would not have enough room for everyone - but it worked out perfectly!
Michelle, Sara, Amanda and Meaghan were Newbies this year and Meaghan was the Love Actually Virgin of 2012.  I am proud to say we have a new convert!  Mission accomplished!

The movie starts out with Hugh Grant saying,

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often, it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know, none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion... love actually is all around."

The movie ends with scenes at the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport as well.  I often take these words with me when I find myself amidst others at the arrivals gate of any airport.  It's true, love is all around.  In May 2010 I travelled to Ireland with my mom for 10 days.  The day we were to return was John's grandfather's 90th birthday party.  I knew Bill (my mom's boyfriend) was due to pick us up at the airport, but in my heart of hearts, I was desperately hoping for my 'Love Actually' airport moment.  I envisioned my husband and kids rushing towards me with huge hugs and laughter...only to find my hopes deflated when reality hit and the moment was gone.  Apparently, my mother-in-law was nervous that if they came to the airport to pick me up, they would be late for the party.  I felt robbed of my moment.  It was the one and only time I have travelled by air without my husband, the only opportunity I've had to experience a 'Love Actually' airport moment - and it went bust!  Do I sound bitter?  You bet!  But, I can forget about it once a year when I am able to experience the scenes vicariously through my favourite movie!

"Banoffee Pie?".  For years, I never knew what Juliet (Keira Knightley) was offering Mark.  What indeed is banoffee pie?  So this year I endeavoured to figure it out.  Banoffee pie is a ...pie!  It has banana and toffee filling topped with whipped cream.  Not only did I discover what this delicacy was but I made my very own to share amongst my guests.  Very strategically as Mark opened the door to Juliet, I paused the movie just after she makes her offer of banoffee pie - and that is when we broke for dessert!  I looked at a couple of recipes on line and went from there to arrive at this....
Banoffee Pie...and now back to our program!  By this point you are probably wondering why I've indulged in sinfulness from Chinese food to wine to banoffee pie, right?  Well, I maintain that a little planned relapse every now and then is OK.  If I only allowed myself to eat vegetables, nuts and fish then I believe I'd be more apt to cheat and fail in my quest for healthfulness.  This time of year is particularly difficult when temptations are all around us - yes, it's not just 'love' that's all around us this festive season - it's candy, chocolate, sweets galore!  As long as we try to focus more on the 'love' and cut back on the 'sweet' I think we'll be in strapping good shape when it's all said and done.  Just remember that when a food is laid before you - you don't have to eat it just because it's there.  And if you do give in to temptation, just try limiting yourself to one cookie, one chocolate or one square.  Have a glass of water - or wine for that matter in your hand and you might just find you are less anxious to fill that hand with one of those said treats.  That being said, Love Actually night comes but once a year, and all diet bets are off for that one night!

I am very blessed and grateful for my friends.  Some of you weren't able to make it on Tuesday night and you were missed!  Thanks to Michelle, Sara, Carla, Amanda, Meaghan, Linda, Lisa and Sarah-Jane for sharing my favourite holiday tradition!  You guys are awesome, wonderful people with good hearts.  All of us have had some trials and tribulations throughout the past year whether it be health, loss of a loved one(s), relationships, financial etc.  I'm glad we were all able to forget these woes for a night and enjoy each other's company.

This leaves me to wonder...who will be the Love Actually Virgin of 2013?  Are there any of you left out there?  There are so many great quotes in Love Actually.  Tonight, I leave you with one from none other than Colin Firth who plays Jamie - "It's lovely-lovely to see you all... and, er... I'm off, actually."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and encouragment most welcome!!