Thursday, January 8, 2015

Willpower and Determination

Just when you think you've got yourself sorted out and are gung ho for a fresh start...the trap door opens! 

The year began with the death of a friends' sister-in-law dying of cancer, another friend suffering a stroke, the mother of a friend nearly entering the pearly gates, news that Bono may never play guitar again...and Curves will be closing at the end of this month!  Hard not to view the glass as half empty!

On Tuesday, the skies seemed a bit brighter as we celebrated my son's 12th birthday and the birth of my little niece Annie!  I returned some things to the library and noticed Colin looking at me from one of the bookshelves saying, "Take me home with you!" so I signed out the copy of "Railway Man" by Eric Lomax.  You might remember that I saw this film at TIFF in 2013 and it was fantastic!  I then went next door for my workout at Curves...and ABBA music was playing, replacing my previous gloom with captivating visions of Colin on the Greek island in Mama Mia!  Although things were somewhat bittersweet at Curves with the upcoming closure, these small things kept me motivated and inspired to go on.  Curves had replaced items in the club withtaken things down from the boards and replaced them with photos collected over the years - and I found one of me taken on Hallowe'en in 2004 before I got pregnant with my third child.

 
 

Later that night I was watching an episode of The Middle for the first time and Patricia Heaton' character said she occasionally dreamed of Colin Firth!  Sorry, just had to add that in there!  Colin is sending me signs everywhere it seems!

Last night I started a session of Booty Barre taught by my friend Melanie.  With temperatures reaching -30*C, my daughter having strep throat and myself a migraine it was so difficult to make myself get there!  But in the end I'm glad I did - I really needed it!  I knew that if I stayed home it would be that much easier to miss next week and the week after etc.  The two words that I am going to abide by for 2015 are WILLPOWER and DETERMINATION.   Each time I thought it would be so much easier to stay home and curl up on the couch last night - I repeated those words to myself!

This weekend I will be commencing a No Junk Food Challenge that I found on Pinterest.  I believe the key to being successful with this is proper preparation.  Knowing that I will be going to Serendipity next week for Carla's birthday and scones with cream and jam aren't permitted, I will for the first time order just a sandwich (whole wheat bread) and salad or soup.  At the end of the month I will have to forego the pizza grinder that I love so much when we go to our new condo in Boyne Falls.  I will also be hosting one of my book clubs this month so I need to plan what to serve that isn't restricted by the challenge.  Of course I could have waited till these events were over to begin, but then others would just as soon pop up and deter me from ever starting.  Besides, if I can get through those 21 days I know I will be that much prouder and it will be a true test of my WILLPOWER and DETERMINATION!



Today I will be printing out copies of the challenge to post throughout the house where any temptations may lie.  I will be making a pumpkin pie as a sort of 'last supper' for the family to enjoy before I begin the challenge.  Planning menus and snacks is also essential as well so I won't be as likely to succumb to cravings.

Well, wish me luck!  I'll keep you updated on my progress!  What changes/challenges are the rest of you doing so far this year?







No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and encouragment most welcome!!